A PROUD TRADITION OF PREPARING GLOBAL LEADERS OF TOMORROW

Glendon began as a suburban country estate with an elegant mansion at its centre and was bequeathed to York University in the 1950s. The campus opened in 1959 as the founding campus of York University and was officially inaugurated in 1966 by then Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson.

Glendon’s development was shaped by the vision of its founding Principal, Escott Reid, a diplomat, respected scholar, and high-level public servant. Reid provided Glendon with its unique mission of bilingualism and the liberal arts, and determined the distinctive position Glendon was to occupy within Canada’s university system.

Thanks to Escott Reid and the continued commitment of his successors, Glendon has successfully developed this mission over the last 50 years, providing a first-class liberal arts education in both of Canada’s official languages with an increasingly international flair.

HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS

1924 – E.R. Wood builds Glendon Hall mansion

1962 – ProTem, Glendon’s bilingual student newspaper, is founded

1966 – Glendon, the founding campus of York University, is inaugurated by Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson

1967 – Hilliard Hall Residence officially opens

1972 – Michael Ondaatje begins teaching with Glendon’s English Studies department

1986 – Jean Chrétien receives honorary degree from Glendon

2003 – Jean Charest, Premier of Quebec, presents his vision of Quebec-Canada relations

2003 – Then Governor General Adrienne Clarkson receives
honorary Doctorate at Glendon Convocation

2004 – Glendon Hall selected as Junior League Showhouse and profiled in House and Home magazine

2006 – Former French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin speaks at Glendon

2007 – Canada’s first bilingual School of Public and International Affairs officially opens at Glendon

2007 – Glendon launches first bilingual and trilingual international Bachelor of Arts (iBA) degrees in Canada

2008 – Provincial government names Glendon the Centre of Excellence for French-language and Bilingual Post-Secondary Education in Southern Ontario

2009 – York University celebrates its 50th birthday

2012 – Glendon celebrates the official opening of the Centre of Excellence building at the front of campus