Businesses, community and government organizations who partner with York can test new ideas and technologies to maintain their competitive edge and inform new products, services and policies. This includes opportunities to develop research partnerships with our expert researchers in a variety of disciplines.
York provides a unique environment in which research that is sensitive to its partners’ needs can be translated into social, environmental and economic benefits.
Partners also gain access to researchers in York’s 25 research centres and institutes, as well as state-of-the-art research laboratories in 11 Faculties.
Top Five Reasons to Partner with York Research
1. Partner with world-class researchers, doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows who are actively engaged in internationally-acclaimed cutting-edge research.
2. The ties between the University and broader communities help fuel innovation, new discoveries, entrepreneurship opportunities, training of highly qualified personnel and the support of start-up companies. Visit Innovation York for more information.
3. Our 25 research centres and institutes, as well as laboratories and studios, conduct ground-breaking research that makes a global impact.
4. Innovation York’s accelerator space within the 30,000 square foot Markham Convergence Centre (MCC), serves as an innovation and business hub for entrepreneurs. Through our entrepreneurship stream, LaunchYU can provide York-affiliated startup companies with the physical space to come together to help advance ideas in the knowledge economy and take them through to market.
5. York University is an award-winning leader in Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) in Canada and internationally. KMb is a suite of activities that enhances the two-way connection between researchers and research users and is active in social innovation, as reflected in our campus-community collaborations and in the deployment of our research results for impacts on our local and global communities. KMb is also dedicated to knowledge brokering & partnership support, training & capacity building, and supporting research grants and research event planning to maximize the impact of research.
Partnership opportunities for industry, community and government
- Innovation York
Innovation York assists businesses in accessing facilities at York, facilitates and assists in the creation of innovative research partnerships, supports and promotes the commercialization of intellectual property developed at the university, as well as supporting the development of high potential ventures through its entrepreneurial program, LaunchYU.
- Knowledge creators, Knowledge users
The Knowledge Mobilization Unit at York, through ResearchImpact, matches researchers with community organizations. KMb is a suite of activities that enhances the two-way connection between researchers and research users. The KMb Unit employs dedicated knowledge brokers to connect research and people for social innovation.
- Government grants support partnerships and collaborations
Government partnerships supporting collaboration with the private sector include funding programs from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Ontario Research Fund, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Mitacs and the Ontario Centres of Excellence.