Professor Fraser prepares ESL students to
follow English medium courses at the university. She also teaches
courses in applied linguistics at undergraduate and graduate levels. Her
research interests focus on the development of advanced L2 reading and
writing proficiency with a current focus on the development of L2
Second Language Education
University of Toronto
McGill University, Universite de Montreal
second language text comprehension; pedagogical methods; reading speed; vocabulary acquisition
• A Model of an Open Learning Centre for ESL at York. Internal Proposal prepared for VP Academic, October 2001, 10 pages.
• Report on the Glendon Bilingual Competence Examination. Glendon College, Internal Report, January 1989, 107 pages.
• Curriculum Guideline EAP Program, York University, June 1985, 25 pages. Developed for first courses given by the York English Language Institute.
• Write Right, McGill University, 1982, 55 pages. This text was used as the writing component in an intermediate level ESL course given by the Department of Continuing Education, McGill University.
• Composition Writing, McGill University, 1982, 106 pages. This text was used as the main course text in an English For Academic Purpose credit course given by the Department of Second Languages, McGill University.
• Reading rate in L1 Mandarin Chinese and L2 English Across Five reading Tasks." The Modern language Journal, 91(3), pp 372-394.
• "Lire avec facilité en langue seconde". The Canadian Modern Language Review, 61 (1), 2004, pp 135-160.
• "Lexical Processing Strategy Use and Vocabulary Learning Through Reading". Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 21 (2), 1999, pp 225-241.
• "The Role of Consulting a Dictionary in Reading and Vocabulary Learning". The Canadian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 2, 1999, pp 73-90.
• "Word Comprehension and Word Learning in Second Language Reading: An Instructional Study". Proceedings of Symposium on Vocabulary Research, CREAL, University of Ottawa, 1993, pp 14-17.
• "The Role of Knowledge About the L2 Code in Adult Second Language Acquisition: A Review of Theories and Research." TESL Canada Journal, 9 (2), 1992, pp 50-71.
• "Developing a Test of Advanced Bilingualism: The Glendon Experience." The Canadian Modern Language Review. 46 (4), 1990, pp 723-737. Co-author Prof. Françoise Mougeon.
• "Reading For Independence." TESL Canada Journal 6 (2), 1989, pp 74-86.
• "Teaching Writing Skills: Focus On The Process", ERIC ED 200 044, 1981, 14 pages.
• Review of V. Horn Composition Steps (Newbury House Publishers 1977), in TESOL Newsletter, 1978.
• "The Modular Learning Lab: An Experiment in Individualisation." TESOL Newsletter, Spring, 1977, 3 pages.
• "Reading in the University", Quebec Reading Association Newsletter, Spring, 1977, 2 pages.
• "The Modular Learning Lab: An Experiment in Individualisation." TESL Communique. Vol 1 (2), 1976, pp 2-4.
"Lexical Precessing in L2 Reading and
Vocabulary Learning". In The Learning and Teaching of French and English
as Second Languages at the University Level: The Converging of Two
Visions. Eds. R. Furgiuele & N. Naiman. Canadian Scholars Press,
Toronto, Ontario, 1996, pp 77-82.