POST-GRADUATION WORK PERMIT (UNDERGRADUATE)
At the end of your studies, you can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which will allow you to remain in Canada for a maximum of three years to gain Canadian work experience.
You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit and you must apply within 90 days of receiving your final grades. You do not need to have a job offer to apply for this permit.
To check your eligibility, visit the Immigration and Citizenship website.
In addition, foreign students can apply to
- Opportunity Ontario to acquire permanent residency status through the International Student with a Job Offer Stream.
- Express entry. If you are a foreign student with skilled work experience in Canada, you may be eligible to move from temporary to permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class.
MASTER’S / DOCTORAL DEGREE
If you are a recent graduate, or are nearing the completion of your master’s degree or doctoral program, you may eligible to be nominated for permanent residency status through provincial or federal government programs.
- At the provincial level, the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program helps international students to permanently live and work in Ontario following graduation.
- At the federal level, Canadian Experience Class helps international student graduates with master’s degree or doctorate move from temporary to permanent residency status.
As a result of changes Ontario has made to more closely align the streams of the program with the needs of its labour market, the province has already received the sufficient number of OINP applications to meet its 2016 federal allocation.
Ontario has made the responsible decision to place a temporary pause on the intake of applications for select, high-volume OINP streams. It’s important to note that lower-volume streams of the OINP and other options continue to be available.
- Ontario stopped sending Notifications of Interest (NOIs) for the OINP Human Capital Priorities (Express Entry) stream effective February 16, 2016.
- Ontario temporarily paused the intake of new applications for the following select, high-volume OINP streams effective 5 p.m. EDT on May 9, 2016:
International Student – Masters Graduate stream
International Student – PhD Graduate stream
All applications for the Employer Pre-screen and International Students (Masters Graduate and PhD Graduate) streams sent after 5 p.m. EDT on May 9, 2016 will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant along with the unprocessed payment.
The OINP will continue to accept applications from Foreign Worker and International Student with a Job Offer applicants as Employer Pre-screen applications are assessed. Only those Foreign Worker and International Student with a Job Offer applicants whose job offer has been approved through the Employer Pre-screen application process may apply to the OINP. These applicants will have 60 days from the date of the Employer Pre-screen approval letter to apply to either of these streams.
The OINP continues to accept and process applications for the French-Speaking Skilled Worker stream and the Corporate stream. The OINP also continues to accept Expressions of Interest for the Entrepreneur stream.
- Please visit the specific webpages for those streams that are still accepting applications or expressions of interest: the French-Speaking Skilled Worker stream, Corporate stream and Entrepreneur stream.
- In addition, other options are available from the federal government.
Please monitor the OINP update webpage for news, announcements and new developments with the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.
For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions webpage.