- Participate in the pre-departure information session.
- Prepare your study plan (list of courses and descriptions) at the host university.
- Meet the Chair of the department of your specialization to obtain approval of your study plan.
Enroll at your host university respecting the deadlines.
- Enroll in the York University courses INEX (international exchange) or CDEX (national exchange).
- Provide, in a timely manner, all the documents requested by the host university pertinent to the exchange program.
- Ensure that your student account is in good standing. Tuition fees and all outstanding fees must be paid in full before your departure.
- Ensure that you have a valid passport.
- Request a student visa (if necessary).
- Apply for the YIMA bursary.
- Arrange for your accommodation abroad.
- Subscribe to a travel medical insurance, this is mandatory in most european countries. Please note that this will not be necessary for exchanges in France, they already have a mandatory medical insurance for exchange students called Securité Sociale Étudiante.
- Prepare a budget. The average cost of an exchange program during an academic year is between $15,000 and $18,000. This is only an estimate as the cost can vary depending on the host country, exchange rate and your specific needs.
- Ensure that you will be able to cover all the costs of your exchange during your stay abroad (transportation, accommodation, food, medical insurance, etc.).