The Glendon Digital Media Lab has a 10 videos workshop on digital storytelling and video creation. It takes you step-by-step through the process of telling a documentary style story on video.
If you want to know more about the equipment, go to the equipment page and consult the videos recommended below each equipment kit.
RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE TUTORIALS
1. Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is available on the computers of our lab in YH 144, but if you want to start working on your project at home, you can download for free the starter plan of Adobe Premiere Rush to do some basic editing and move your project to Premiere Pro for more specific edits. A good and short tutorial on working in Adobe Premiere Rush and setting up your timeline can be found here. Check out this series of tutorials on how to use Adobe Premiere Rush.
Introduction to Premiere Pro
- Learn Premiere Pro in 20 minutes! – Tutorial for beginners
- Adobe Premiere Pro tutorial series
- 10 Premiere Pro Tips You Should Know! Tutorials from Beginners to Pro
- Make Your Footage Look Fantastic Fast! Premiere Pro Tutorial (Colour correction and a bit of sound design)
- Slow motion, Speed Ramp and Freeze Frames
- 4 awesome ways to use masking
2. Adobe Animate CC
3. Adobe Character Animator
4. Advanced Tutorials
- Check out these video creation guides and examples of videos for activists.
- Dan Mace Youtube Secrets (*revealed) (starting at 1:10 Dan Mace shares tips about his style of digital storytelling, includes tips on conversational style, narrative arc, scrapbook B-roll, and more)
1. Adobe InDesign
2. Adobe Illustrator
4. The WITNESS Video Advocacy
The WITNESS Video Advocacy curriculum is based on learnings and expertise gained over 25 years of working with partners around the world to use video to expose abuses and advocate for justice. The curriculum contains 7 modules and 37 individual sessions which cover both advocacy strategy and hands-on video production. Though originally designed for an eight to ten-day training, we encourage you to explore the sessions that interest you, download the materials and tailor the curriculum for your individual use.