What is mental health?
Mental health consists of emotional, social, and psychological well-being. Just as it is important to take care of our body, taking care of our mind is just as vital. According to the CMHA (Canadian Mental Health Association), there are six factors that encompass good mental health. These include:
- A sense of purpose
- Strong relationships
- Feeling connected to others
- Having a good sense of self
- Coping with stress
- Enjoying life
Maintaining good mental health is essential not only for academic success at university, but for personal fulfillment in other aspects of life as well. It allows us to thrive and be our best, happiest selves.
What is wellness?
Wellness is the process of pursuing activities, establishing habits, and making choices that lead to a more healthy and fulfilling life. It is not simply the absence of illness – it is a constant, ongoing road to improvement in one’s physical and mental health.
Mental Health and Wellness in the COVID-19 Pandemic
The pandemic has made mental health and wellness a challenge for many, but there are still ways to stay mentally healthy despite the circumstances:
- Reach out to loved ones
- Spend time outdoors
- Engage in a creative hobby
- Stay active by participating in an online workout session
- Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation
Taking care of yourself by eating well, getting a proper amount of sleep, and avoiding substance use can also contribute to better mental health during this time.
Mental Health Resources
- Good2Talk provides free, anonymous counselling and referrals for mental health and well-being to post-secondary students in Ontario. Call 1-866-925-5454 or text 686868
- Kids Help Phone offers free, 24/7 texting and phone call services to youth experiencing crisis. Call 1-800-668-6868 or text 686868.
- Crisis Text Line Canada (text 741741 or 686868) is a free, 24/7 texting service for anyone going through a difficult time and needs help right away. Powered by Kids Help Phone.