Eligibility for Certificate Students

If you are registered as a full-time student in one of these programs as a stand-alone certificate (that is, taking the certificate outside of a degree program) and you require financial aid, then you may apply for OSAP aid provided you meet all the other eligibility requirements.

  • Discipline of Teaching English as an International Language (D-TEIL)
  • Refugee and Migration Studies
  • Spanish/English – English / Spanish Translation
  • Technical and Professional Communication
  • Some Certificates offered at the Keele Campus

If you are pursuing a certificate as part of a York University degree program, then you would be eligible for OSAP aid provided you meet all the other eligibility requirements.

Eligibility While on a Formal York / Glendon Exchange

Because you are a full-time registered student at York University during the formal exchange term(s), you can apply for OSAP aid as described below.

You must complete and submit a form that provides specific program dates at your host institution so we can assess your application accurately:

For further information regarding these forms and the exchange programs:

  • Glendon students: send an email to exchange@glendon.yorku.ca. 
  • All other undergraduate students: contact York International at exchange@yorku.ca.

If you wish to authorize another person to conduct OSAP business and sign forms on your behalf while away from York, you are required to complete the Power of Attorney form(s) and a temporary Third Party Access form. Both the Ontario and Federal forms will be required if you are receiving an Integrated Ontario/Canada Student Loan.

Eligibility for Non-Degree Students

As a full-time, non-degree student, you could be eligible to apply for OSAP assistance if you are on a Letter of Permission (LOP) from your home institution and are taking credit courses that will be applied to your degree at your home institution. You will need to provide a copy of the LOP from your home institution outlining the courses you can take at York that will be applied to your degree at your home institution.

Only courses identified on the Letter of Permission can be considered when calculating course loads for OSAP purposes.

You are ineligible to apply for OSAP aid as a non-degree student if you are:

  • Taking upgrading courses to increase your grade point average (GPA).
  • Taking credit courses that may lead to entry into a degree program.
  • Taking courses that may enhance your chances of gaining entry into a degree program.
  • Taking courses because you are interested in the subject matter.
  • Taking the “qualifying” term to gain admission into the BScN for Internationally Educated Nurses.
  • Taking “Additional Qualification” (AQ) or “Principal’s Qualification Program” (PQP) as practicing teachers.
  • Taking courses to meet the requirements of a professional designation (for example: the Chartered Accounting designation granted by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants).
  • A law student, required to take specific courses to satisfy the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA).