Request a Refund
Refunds are routinely issued by Student Financial Services in November, March or July. If you have a credit in your student account, a refund by direct deposit will be made if your banking information is on file. If it isn’t, a cheque will be mailed to your current mailing address.
We will make every effort to process these requests within 15 business days (30 days for International refunds). Due to the high volume of requests, we receive, we may not be able to meet these timelines in every case. We appreciate your patience.
- Make sure we have your current contact information on file.
- We strongly encourage students to register their banking information with the university as Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) are a quicker, more secure method of refunding your funds back to you.
Create or Update My Banking Information
- Request a refund online once you’ve updated your student profile:
Please note the following exceptions:
- If you have withdrawn from courses since receiving your OSAP funding, and this has resulted in a credit on your student account, York is required by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development to send all or part of the refund directly to the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC). This amount will be applied to your outstanding student loans to reduce the principal owing. If this situation applies in your case, you will be notified by letter of the amount of any refund York has sent to the NSLSC.
- If the refund you are requesting is the result of a recent payment to your account, we must wait 21 days until the payment has been cleared through your bank before we can process the refund.
- If you have a credit on your student account because you have received a York entrance scholarship, you can request a small portion of the credit to pay for books and other start-of-year requirements. Any remaining scholarship funds on your student account will be automatically issued to you in November during the normal refund schedule.