The Department of French Studies offers multifaceted programs tailored to students’ interests and needs.
In our Department, you will have the opportunity to study some of the great works of literature of the French-speaking world — from France to Morocco to Quebec and beyond. You will attune yourself to the nuances of pronunciation and the range of French accents. Invariably, you will improve your level of spoken and written French as you live and breathe it over the years. Along the way you will also be able to deepen you knowledge of Francophone cultures!
- Our program is one of the broadest and most flexible in Canada and gives you the opportunity to study literature of the French speaking world, French and applied linguistics, French as a first- and second-language, and the many facets of French culture.
- We are French-language specialists, attracting highly accomplished professors from all French-speaking regions of the world.
- Our small class sizes ensures lively exchanges between professors and students.
- Glendon is one of the only institutions in the country where you can earn your French degree on a bilingual campus. Your French will improve more quickly and more fully thanks to all that is available outside the classroom — 30% of your fellow students are francophones, the theatre produces French plays, the student newspaper is bilingual, and all student services at Glendon are available in English and French. This immersion environment makes Glendon an ideal place to earn a degree in French Studies.
- We have extensive French resources on campus, including the Salon Francophone, technology-enhanced language learning tools, a language research centre, and GREF, our own French language publishing house.
- Add some international flair to your degree by taking advantage of Glendon’s exchange programs with many French-speaking universities overseas, including La Sorbonne in Paris. A third year exchange will help you improve your language skills while enjoying a rewarding cultural experience.
Careers and Alumni
Our graduates are successful in many areas, including technical and professional communication, media, marketing, journalism, legal work, government, and business. In addition, many of our graduates are French teachers.
Coming straight out of the Extended French program, Amanda is now pursuing a BA in French Studies along with a B.Ed in hopes of becoming a French teacher! She also plans to explore other career paths related to teaching along the way. Follow her time at Glendon here>>
French Studies is available as a bilingual or trilingual international Bachelor of Arts.
We have extensive French resources on campus, including the Salon Francophone, technology-enhanced language learning tools, a language research centre, and GREF, our own French language publishing house.
In the News
Ready to apply?
Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) Codes
BA Bilingual: YGG
iBA Trilingual: YGH (Upper-year entry)