If there are immediate concerns about someone’s safety, whether that be your or someone else’s safety – call 911.
Examples of crises that you may need immediate assistance with:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Acute emotional distress of an overwhelming nature
- Thoughts about harming another person
- Recent assault or abuse
- Concern about your safety
- Hallucinations and delusions
- Recent death of a loved one
- Witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event
Outside of office hours, please refer to additional community resources below.
Information for Faculty and staff visit: https://www.glendon.yorku.ca/student-affairs/draft-new-student-affairs/assisting-students-distress/
or Connect with KEEP.MESAFE by dialling 1-844-451-9700 at any time and identifying yourself as a staff or faculty member from York University for consultative support. Find more details in the Staff & Faculty Program Reference Guide (PDF).
These sites offer information and Web links to agencies and services throughout Ontario. The databases provide a keyword search, similar to a library database search. Being specific will result in more tailored results. For example, if you seek counselling for alcohol abuse, you would type in “addiction” or “substance abuse.”
211 COMMUNITY CONNECTION
Information about community and social services in the city of Toronto. Dial 211 in the 416 and 647 area codes (no charge). You can also access it online at 211toronto.ca.
PROGRAM ORGANIZATION SEARCH
Information about community and social services in Halton/Peel Region, with links to several other similar databases for services in communities such as Hamilton, York Region, Durham Region, Peterborough and more, please click the following link: search.hipinfo.info.
Phone lines & Crisis intervention
- Free, confidential helpline providing professional counselling and information and referral for mental health, addiction and well-being to post-secondary students in Ontario 24/7/365
- Connect with KEEP.MESAFE by dialling 1-844-451-9700 at any time.
24-hour community-based mental health crisis service
GTA distress line, free and confidential support. Provide emotional support and suicide prevention, intervention and postvention
- Information about community and social services in Halton/Peel Region, with links to several other similar databases for services in communities such as Hamilton, York Region, Durham Region, Peterborough and more, please click the following link: search.hipinfo.info.
Support & Community for LGBTQ2S + Youth
The 519 is committed to the health, happiness, and full participation of the LGBTQ2S communities.
Health services for youth who identify as part of the LGBTQ + community.
Healing from childhood sexual abuse
Provide support for children, youth and adults who have experienced childhood sexual abuse to heal and reclaim their voices.
Provides free medical and counselling services in many areas of sexual health.
Drugs & Alcohol
Addiction, Mental Health, and Problem Gambling Treatment Services.
DrugRehab.ca has created a comprehensive web page on substance use in Ontario.
Offers community services in French
Free mental health consultation
Online community of peer support, anonymous and free.
Skills Development: Program designed to help adults and youth 15+ manage symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Offers support for anyone 17 years and older affected by an eating disorder
Provides mental health services to youth ages 16-29.
Provides mental health, primary health care and community services to women by women.