You must apply for, and be granted, a Letter of Permission from Academic Services prior to enrolling at the other university. Please submit the below Letter of Permission request form with course descriptions to the appropriate departmental office and return the completed form to Academic Services.
Conditions for a Letter of Permission for Non-York University Courses
- You are responsible for making your own application for admission to the university indicated in the Letter of Permission. Applications should be accompanied by one copy of the form.
- It normally takes 3 to 5 business days to process the request, once the application is received at Academic Services.
- The host institution governs Letter of Permission application deadlines.
- If you don’t register for the course(s) or if you don’t complete the approved course(s), you must provide Academic Services with documentation from the host institution declaring that:
- You did not register at that institution; or
- You withdrew from the course(s) without academic penalty.
- Courses taken at the host institution are not listed on York University transcripts and grades are not included in the calculation of the York grade point average (GPA).
- You are responsible for ensuring that you do not repeat courses already successfully completed at York.
- A Letter of Permission will not be issued to you proceeding with an academic warning (on probation). If you receive an academic warning, or are ineligible to proceed at the conclusion of the current session, the Letter of Permission will be rescinded.
- Credit is granted for courses successfully completed with a final grade equivalent to at least a “C” (60%).
- You may enrol in a maximum of 12 credits in a Summer session and 33 credits in a Fall/Winter session including courses taken on a Letter of Permission.
How to complete this form
- Complete 2 copies of this form (with the course description).
- Return both copies with a non-refundable fee of $50 to Academic Services (York Hall C102) for final approval OR Submit the form online with your credit card information file out using the submission form below.
- Processing of request for a Letter of Permission normally takes 3 to 5 business days once the application is received.