Professor Xavier de Vanssay is a public policy and international economics specialist. He received his PhD from Simon Fraser University, and joined Glendon’s Economics Department in 1990. Since then, he has been a Visiting Professor at Sciences Po (Paris) and other universities. He has published scholarly articles on empirical aspects of public policy issues as well as on international economics.
Financial and Monetary Systems
Regional Integration and Free-Trade
Simon Fraser University
Institut d'Etudes Politiques (DEA), Université Paris Dauphine (DESS), Simon Fraser University (MA)
• “Sinning by Omission: Insider Trading and Ethical Behavior.” Journal of Economics and Business, Vol. 104 (July-August), 2019, pp. 1-16, 105834, (with N.-G. Martineau). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconbus.2019.01.001 Publisher's Site
• “The Japanese Automobile Tyre Industry under Scrutiny.” International Journal of the Economics of Business, Vol. 22 (1), 2015, pp. 141-162, (with X. D. Nguyen and C. R. Parsons). https://doi.org/10.1080/13571516.2014.993567 Publisher's Site
• “Detecting Market Competition in the Japanese Beer Industry.” Journal of Industry, Competition, and Trade, Vol. 14 (1), 2014, pp. 123-143, (with C. R. Parsons). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10842-013-0166-9 Publisher's Site
• “Information, Organization, and Freedom: Explaining the Great Reversal.” Review of Austrian Economics, Vol. 25 (4), 2012, pp. 329-350, (with J.-J. Rosa). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11138-012-0173-9 Publisher's Site
• “Damages at the Pump: Does Punishment Fit the Crime?” Journal of Industry, Competition, and Trade, Vol. 11 (4), 2011, pp. 351-367, (with C. Erutku). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10842-010-0075-0 Publisher's Site
• "A Note on Forecasting Cross Border Shopping: The Virtue of Simplicity." Canadian Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 33 (2), 2010, pp.45-56, (with N. Jones). Publisher's Site PDF
• “Using Economic Freedom Indexes As Policy Indicators: An Intercontinental Example." Public Organization Review, Vol. 8 (3), September 2008, pp. 195-214, (with Z. A. Spindler and V. Hildebrand). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11115-008-0050-y Publisher's Site
• "Constitutional Foundations of Economic Freedom: A time-series, cross-section analysis." Constitutional Political Economy, Vol. 16 (4), December 2005, pp. 327-346, (with V. Hildebrand and Z. A. Spindler). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10602-005-4314-z Publisher's Site
• "The Myth of Fair Prices: A Graphical Analysis." Journal of Economic Education, Vol. 34 (3), Summer 2003, pp. 235-240, (with D. Yanchus). https://doi.org/10.1080/00220480309595218 Publisher's Site
• "Constitutional Design for A Rent-seeking Society: The Voting Rule Choice Revisited." Constitutional Political Economy, Vol. 14 (2), June 2003, pp. 95-105, (with Z. A. Spindler). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023639521374 Publisher's Site
• "Constitutions and Economic Freedom: An International Comparison." South African Journal of Economics, Vol. 70 (6), September 2002, pp. 1135-1147, (with Z. A. Spindler). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1813-6982.2002.tb00060.x Publisher's Site
• "A Public Choice Perspective on Cartels." Journal of Public Finance and Public Choice, Vol. 17 (1), 2000, pp. 2-22, (with Z. A. Spindler). Publisher's Site
• "Monetary Unions in Historical and Comparative Perspective." Journal for Institutional Innovation, Development and Transition, Vol. 4, 2000, pp. 35-44.
• "Constitutions, Institutions and Economic Convergence: An International Comparison." Journal for Studies in Economics and Econometrics, Vol. 20 (3), 1996, pp. 1-20, (with Z. A. Spindler). Publisher's Site
• "Is Tax Reform in the Public Interest? A Rent-Seeking Perspective." Public Finance Quarterly, Vol. 22 (1), January 1994, pp. 3-21, (with Z. A. Spindler). https://doi.org/10.1177/109114219402200101 Publisher's Site
• "Freedom and Growth: Do Constitutions Matter?" Public Choice, Vol. 78 (3-4), March 1994, pp. 359-372, (with Z. A. Spindler). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01047764 Publisher's Site
• "The Origins of Customs Unions and Free Trade Areas." Journal of European Integration, Vol. 17 (2-3), 1994, pp. 181-210, (with E. E. Mahant). https://doi.org/10.1080/07036339408429004 Publisher's Site
• "Public Choice Classics and North American Economic Textbooks: A Status Report (Or More on the Us versus Them Debate)." Journal of Public Finance and Public Choice, December 1993, n. 2-3, pp. 89-100. Publisher's Site
• "Regional Rent-Seeking in Canadian Sales Tax Reform." Canadian Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 12 (3), 1989, pp. 367-380, (with Z. A. Spindler). Publisher's Site PDF
• “The Global Freedom Boom: An Economic Analysis”, with J.- J. Rosa, (Chapter 2, pp. 22-45, 2010) in “Crossing Borders: Global Prospects, New Perspectives and Emerging Agendas” Editors: B. Batavia P. Nandakumar, and C. Wagué. Studies in Economic Transformation and Public Policy in Association with the Athenian Policy Forum.
• “Democracy and environmental performance: An exploration of political and economic asymmetries.” in “Globalization: Capital Flows, Competition and Regulation.” Editors: B. Batavia and P. Nandakumar. APF Press, 2007, (with E. E. Mahant, P. Mahant), pp. 222-245.
• "The Marshall-Lerner condition" in "An Encyclopedia of Macroeconomics." Editors: B. Snowdon and H. R. Vane. Edward Elgar Publishing Limited: 2002, pp. 461-464.
• "Monetary Unions in Historical Perspective" in "Before and Beyond EMU." Editor: P. Crowley. Routledge: July, 2002, pp. 26-41.
• "Preferential trading arrangements" in "Economic Integration in the Americas." Editors: C. Paraskevopoulos, R. Grinspum and G. Eaton. Edward Elgar Publishing Limited: 1996, pp. 169-181, (with E. E. Mahant).
• "Three's Company and Fifteen's a Union: The Comparative Political Economy of the NAFTA and the European Union - Integration or Liberalisation?" in "Regional Trading Blocs and the Global Economy: Europe, North America, East Asia." Editors: T. Geiger and D. Kennedy (Institute for European Studies, Queen's University of Belfast). Pinter Publishers Ltd: 1996, pp. 131-155, (with E. E. Mahant).