All the pictures displayed in our Gallery were shot in Toronto or elsewhere in Ontario. They illustrate some of the institutions (e.g., stores, churches, associations, etc.) or signs of Ontario’s ethno-linguistic communities where these communities’ languages come into contact with one another or with English. The pictures were taken by CRLCC members.
CRLCC International Conference on Language and Culture Contact
November 18-20, 2016
Glendon College, York University, Toronto
The Center for Research on Language and Culture Contact (CRLCC) invites proposals for its upcoming conference, to be held at Glendon College, York University, in Toronto (Canada) on November 18-20. We are pleased to announce that this year’s keynote speakers are:
- Mark Fettes is a professor of education at Simon Fraser University and the director of the Imaginative Education Research Group. His research on ecological and place-based approaches to language and education includes work in language revitalization, ecolinguistics, and Esperanto.
- Naomi Nagy is a professor of linguistics at the University of Toronto who focuses on language contact and language change. She is coordinator of the multilingual “Heritage Language Variation and Change Project”, aimed at examining heritage languages in Toronto.
- Ellen Elias-Bursać is a scholar of Slavic languages and award-winning translator from Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian. She is the author of Translating Evidence and Interpreting Testimony at a War Crimes Tribunal: Working in a Tug-of-War.
- Regular: $80 CAD
- Student or part time instructor: $45 CAD
After November 7, 2016:
- Regular: $110 CAD
- Student or part time instructor: $60 CAD
Please note that all participants presenting at the conference must be registered before November 18.
Methods of payment:
- Credit card
To pay with credit card please fill out the registration form, crlcc-registration-form-en, and send it back to us via email to: CRLCConference@glendon.yorku.ca. Your payment will be processed via Extended Learning at Glendon College.
Note: You can print, fill out, and scan the form and send it back to us, or you can fill it out directly on the .pdf file. You can also fax the form at 416-487-6781.
- In person with debit or credit card
Until one week before the conference you can register in person with your debit or credit card at the office of Extended Learning (A112) at Glendon College. The usual hours for Extended Learning are Mondays to Thursdays from 9:30am to 5:30pm and Fridays from 9:30am to 4:00pm. Note: Please call us at 416-487-6780 before coming in person to make sure someone can be there to help you.
Thank you and do not hesitate to email us back if you have any questions.